Department of Veterans Affairs
Department of Defense
Key Points found in Scroll Box below:
1. Determine Treatment Plan
Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies (CBT)
Problem Solving Therapy (PST)
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
Mentalization-Based Therapy (MBT)
3. Suicide-Focused Psychotherapy Addressing the Suicide Risk
4. Psychotherapy for Co-occurring Mental Disorders Associated with Suicide Risk
5. Pharmacological Treatment to Reduce Risk for Suicide in Patients with Mental Disorders:
Use of Antidepressants to Prevent Suicide in a Patient with a Mood Disorder
Use of Antipsychotics to Prevent Suicide in a Patient with a Non-Psychotic Disorder
Use of Lithium for Reducing Suicide in Patients with Unipolar Depressive Disorder
Use of Lithium for Reducing Suicide in Patients with Bipolar Disorder
Use of Clozapine in the Treatment of a Patient with Schizophrenia Risk for Suicide
Use Antiepileptic Drugs (AEDs) and the Risk of Suicide
6. Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) in the Prevention of Suicide
If you wish to increase the text size of this publication, maximize your window.
Click outside the box below, press Ctrl “+” several times, then scroll.
Questions? Email: [email protected]
- The Assessment and Management of Risk for Suicide Working Group. VA/DOD Clinical Practice Guideline for Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide. Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Defense. June 2013. Pg. 48-57.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Article References:
Pirkis, J. (2020). Strengthening the evidence base in suicide prevention: Systematic reviews and registered reports [Editorial]. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 41(2), 77–81.
Platt, S., & Niederkrotenthaler, T. (2020). Suicide prevention programs: Evidence base and best practice.Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 41(Suppl 1), S99–S124.
Yip, P. S. F. (2011). Towards evidence-based suicide prevention programs [Editorial]. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 32(3), 117–120.
QUESTION 8 What are four evidence-based psychotherapy interventions for the prevention of suicide?
To select and enter your answer go to Test.